Children of Man Electrocuted by Whirlpool Washing Machine Compensated

A settlement was obtained by The Ammons Law Firm in a products liability case against Whirlpool and one of its equipment suppliers. The case involved a defective Whirlpool washer/dryer that electrocuted a 30-year-old Texas man, and Mr. Ammons represented the man’s three minor children.

The fatal event occurred when the man was washing his dog’s blanket in his apartment. The washer overflowed, causing water to collect on the floor. While the man was standing next to the appliances, the water contacted the ungrounded dryer and caused his electrocution.

The washing machine’s pressure switch failure in question set into motion a series of events that led to this man’s electrocution. After his washer was caused to overfill, the floor around it was flooded with water. Because Whirlpool’s instructions and warnings regarding safe installation and grounding of its dryer were flawed, unclear and buried in a manual, the dryer was energized when it was contacted by the overflow of water, resulting in the fatal electric shock.

On February 27, 2012, the Court approved a pretrial settlement for an amount that is being held confidential at the insistence of the defendants.

The Ammons Law Firm is located in Houston, Texas and practices personal injury law, including cases involving tire defects, oil rig explosions, truck accidents, plant explosions, refinery accidents, wrongful death, post-collision fires, seat belt defects, seatback defects, airbag defects, SUV rollovers, and workplace negligence.