Laws Protecting the Rights of Injured Maritime Workers
These are the maritime laws that protect the rights of workers who have been injured in work-related accidents:
- General maritime law gives the crew members of a vessel the right to sue for injuries caused by the unseaworthiness of a vessel. It also provides maintenance (living expenses) and cure (medical expenses) benefits to maritime workers while they recover from their injuries.
- The Jones Act allows seamen to seek damages for injuries caused by the negligence of a ship owner, employer or fellow crew member.
- The Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA) provides for the payment of compensation, medical care, and vocational rehabilitation services to maritime workers disabled due to injuries while working jobs that support the maritime industry.
- The Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (OCSLA) is similar to the LHWCA in that it protects the rights of offshore workers injured or killed while working at a jobsite located on the Outer Continental Shelf.
- The Death on the High Seas Act provides economic recovery for family members of workers killed while onboard a vessel situated more than 12 miles off US shores.
Do You Know Your Rights?
Injured maritime workers have certain rights after an accident. These rights include:
- The right to an attorney.
- The right to choose your own doctor or hospital.
- The right to compensation for damages due to negligence.
- The right not to admit fault, sign a waiver document or accept a settlement offer.
- The right to fully recover before returning to work.
The best way to ensure your rights are protected is to seek the representation of an experienced maritime accident lawyers as soon as possible after your accident.
Our Maritime Law Attorneys Will Fight for Your Rights
If you are a maritime worker who has been injured on the job, we want you to know that you aren’t alone. The Ammons Law Firm is here to protect your rights under maritime law and see to it you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
We have been successfully representing injured maritime workers in the Gulf Coast region and throughout the United States or more than 20 years. Let us put our experience and understanding of the complexities of maritime law to work on your behalf.
Contact The Ammons Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled maritime law lawyers.
"We could not have been in better hands."- Former Client
"Wonderful & hardworking lawyers."- Kenny N.
"Amazed by Mr. Ammons’ presentation & knowledge."- Teressa H.
"Wonderful & hardworking lawyers."- Jose Angel M.
"Rob will devote the resources necessary to sort out any complex matter and get the best possible result for the client."- Louis H., Referral Attorney
"The office staff was always courteous and prompt in responding."- Anne P.