Houston Wrongful Death Attorneys
Providing Caring Representation to Families Nationwide
Coping with a loved one’s death can be extremely challenging. You’re suffering emotionally and, at the same time, still required to continue with your normal life while handling the many logistical challenges of losing a loved one and family member. This process can be even more difficult when your loved one’s death was preventable and caused by a negligent party.
With the right legal representation, you can receive the support you need during this difficult time. Our team of wrongful death attorneys in Houston is devoted to seeking justice and fair financial compensation for our clients because we care about their well-being and their futures. We’re not just fighting for the one you lost—we’re also fighting for your right to a secure future.
When Is a Death Considered “Wrongful?”
No one should have to suffer the loss of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence. Unfortunately, this can and does occur quite frequently. When another person or party’s careless, reckless, or intentional conduct causes the death of another person, that death is considered “wrongful” under most state laws.
The requirements for a wrongful death claim vary from state to state. In Texas, the following must be true:
According to Texas Statutes Section 71.001, legal action for wrongful death may be brought forth if the "wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default" of one party causes the death of another.
Examples of this may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A car accident caused by a defective auto part, such as the “death wobble” defect of both the Ford F-250 and F-350 Supers
- Toys and other child products, including defective car seats, toys containing lead or harmful chemicals, toys that pose a risk of choking, and more
- Dangerous drugs and medical devices, including Paxil, Seroquel, Reglan, Levaquin, and more
In Texas, wrongful deaths can occur as a result of numerous types of accidents and injuries, including but not limited to:
In many of these accidents, more than one party is liable. It takes a strong investigative team to trace the multiple factors that can come together to create a tragedy. Our attorneys are dedicated to helping families like yours hold everyone who was involved in an accident responsible for their negligence. We pursue maximum compensation in every case we take.
Damages in Wrongful Death Cases
The Ammons Law Firm LLP has recovered more than $1 billion for our clients, many of whom lost loved ones in wrongful death cases.
We help the families of wrongful death victims recover compensation for a variety of damages, including:
- Medical expenses incurred prior to death
- Burial and/or funeral expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Loss of household services provided by the deceased
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Lost inheritance
In certain circumstances, our attorneys may also be able to pursue punitive damages. This type of compensation is meant to punish liable parties for egregious negligence, and to ensure similar carelessness does not occur again in the future.
How We’ve Helped Clients
With 2 Board Certified personal injury litigators on our team, the attorneys at The Ammons Law Firm LLP bring a high level of skill and knowledge to every case. We’ve helped families hold negligent companies to account after losing a loved one to a tragic accident. Some of our past wrongful death cases include a:
- $82.5 million jury award to a woman and her 3 children after the husband died in a natural gas plant explosion.
- $33 million to the survivors of a car accident victim, who got in a head-on wreck due to a defective tire.
- $22.1 million to the victims of a bus accident that resulted in multiple fatalities and catastrophic injuries.
- $13 million for the family of a father who died in a head-on car accident.
- $12 million to the survivors after a woman died in a car accident caused by tread separation on one of her tires.
- $11 million for the victims of a rollover van accident that killed 4 and catastrophically injured 2 when the driver lost control.
- $10 million when 5 teenagers were involved in a rollover accident caused by a tire detread. Two of them suffered fatal injuries.
Every case is unique, and no result is guaranteed. However, The Ammons Law Firm LLP puts all its resources into every case we take to give our clients the best chance of recovering maximum compensation.
Compassionate & Thorough Support
Navigating the legal system can be daunting when you’re grieving. Our Houston wrongful death attorneys are here to guide you through the process and take the hard work of filing a claim off your shoulders. We’re practiced in preparing cases and proving liability in court. We seek the maximum compensation our clients are owed in order to provide for their current and future financial challenges and to help them find justice for their loved ones.
The death of an immediate family member is always a tragedy. As you grieve and heal, you should not have to worry about the financial challenges facing you. Many families of the wrongfully deceased build up debt with costly medical bills and funeral expenses—not to mention, the deceased could have been the primary breadwinner in the family, and now surviving loved ones must contend with a loss of income and financial support. A wrongful death case can be a solution, allowing you a safety net while you get your feet under you again.
Our lawyers know how stressful and difficult life is after losing a loved one. We provide caring and committed representation to clients in Houston and nationwide.