When Can You Pursue a Claim after a Flooded Road Accident?
Like most personal injury claims, you will typically need to prove that another person or party was negligent in order to pursue financial compensation after an auto accident caused by flooding.
You may be able to seek financial compensation for damages if:
- The flooded roadway was caused by defective road design or poor construction
- There was inadequate or nonexistent signage warning motorists of the flooding
- A road hazard or defect (such as blocked drains or a defective fire hydrant) caused the flooding
- The flooding was caused by a construction zone and there was insufficient warning signs
- Improper or insufficient road maintenance led to the flooding
Note that this list is not exhaustive; there are many other situations in which another entity may be liable for your accident caused by road flooding. Our Houston dangerous and defective road lawyers can help you understand your legal rights and options following an accident that caused you serious injury or resulted in the death of your loved one.
Safety Tips for Driving in Poor Weather Conditions
Often, flooding occurs when poor weather and hazardous road conditions come together. As a motorist, it’s important that you do everything you can to stay safe in the event of street flooding.
Below are some safety tips for drivers who find themselves navigating flooded roadways:
- Never attempt to drive through water that is more than four inches deep. If you are unsure how deep water may be, avoid driving through it.
- Use your headlights in heavy rain and/or anytime visibility is greatly reduced.
- Always allow yourself extra room to stop, as wet or flooded roads may cause your vehicle to take longer than normal to come to a complete stop.
- Never attempt to drive through deep (more than four inches) moving water, as your vehicle can easily be swept away even in relatively shallow flooding.
- Avoid spraying water (which can reduce visibility for other vehicles, as well as yourself) by driving at low speeds.
- If you do become stuck in flood water, don’t panic. In most cases, you should remain in your vehicle and contact the police who can assist you. Keep your seat belt fastened while you are in your vehicle waiting for police to arrive.
Contact The Ammons Law Firm
If you are injured in an accident caused by flooding on a street, highway, or road, reach out to the Houston dangerous roadway lawyers at The Ammons Law Firm for a free consultation. We proudly serve clients across the United States, offering personalized legal representation and aggressive advocacy at every stage of the legal process.
"Wonderful & hardworking lawyers."- Kenny N.
"Amazed by Mr. Ammons’ presentation & knowledge."- Teressa H.
"Rob will devote the resources necessary to sort out any complex matter and get the best possible result for the client."- Louis H., Referral Attorney
"Wonderful & hardworking lawyers."- Jose Angel M.
"We could not have been in better hands."- Former Client
“Rob fought for me like no man has fought for me. The Ammons Law Firm is a law firm that seeks out justice, righteousness for those who have suffered and I can now move forward in my life.”- Joe C.