Houston Car Accident Lawyers
Aggressively Advocating for Injured Victims Nationwide
More than 40,000 people are killed annually in motor vehicle accidents across the United States, with nearly 3 million others suffering injuries. Auto accidents account for some of the most serious injuries, including traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries.
Automobile accident lawsuits, including SUV rollovers and large truck accidents, handled by The Ammons Law Firm LLP have resulted in large verdicts and settlements, including our $1.2 million verdict for a client injured in an accident by a speeding 18-wheeler with faulty brakes.
After a car accident, there can be a lot of confusion about what to do next. It is always best to allow an experienced group of attorneys handle your case if you have suffered injuries. Even speaking to an insurance company can get you into a situation that may hinder your ability to get the compensation you deserve. Every call is recorded and, frequently, your own words are used against you. The Houston car accident lawyers at The Ammons Law Firm LLP handle cases nationwide, helping victims and their families recover compensation from severe injuries after a car accident.
To learn how we may be able to help you, call us at (281) 801-5617 and request a free consultation. Se habla español.
What to Do after a Car Accident
As previously mentioned, the aftermath of a car accident can be stressful and confusing. Many victims have never been in such a situation before and are unsure of how to proceed.
If you are involved in a car accident, be sure to do the following (to the best of your ability):
- Seek medical attention. Even if you believe you have not been injured or have only sustained minor injuries, it is important for your own well-being and the validity of any future legal proceedings you wish to pursue that you are checked out by a medical professional. Remember, the adrenaline that kicks in during and after an accident can mask symptoms; you may not realize you are injured until hours or even days later.
- Take down the contact information of the other involved driver(s) and anyone else who may have been a part of or witness to the accident. Record these individuals’ names, phone numbers, addresses, and other pertinent information.
- Contact local law enforcement and fill out an official police report. Be honest about what happened but refrain from admitting guilt. Remember, an attorney will be better able to determine whether you, legally speaking, played any role in the accident. It is always best to refrain from admitting even partial fault until a full investigation can be done.
- Take down any witness statements and document the scene of the accident if you are able to safely do so. Take pictures of your vehicle and the other vehicle, as well as any visible injuries you have sustained.
- Do not speak to the other party’s insurance provider until you have first spoken with a car accident attorney. Remember: the insurance adjuster is not on your side. Often, they will use tactics to get you to admit fault or otherwise devalue or deny your claim. Always speak to an attorney first, before talking to anyone from the insurance company.
It is important that you work with an experienced car accident lawyer in Houston, like those at The Ammons Law Firm LLP, to help ensure your rights are protected and that you have a better chance of recovering the full compensation you are owed.
How Long Do You Have to File a Car Accident Claim?
The statute of limitations, or time limit to file a claim, depends on which state you are located in. In most cases, you will have anywhere from one to three years to bring your claim. In the state of Texas, for example, injured victims have two years from the date of the accident or the date when they knew of (or reasonably should have known of) their injuries to bring a claim.
Why Work with an Attorney?
Insurance companies are business and, therefore, their primary goal is protecting their bottom lines. The liable insurance company’s adjuster will often attempt to devalue or even deny your claim by working to show that you were partially or fully at fault for the accident. These companies will often send their own investigators to the scene of the accident and may begin building a case against you the very same day that you are hurt.
When you work with an experienced attorney, you put the experience and skill of a professional legal team on your side. At The Ammons Law Firm LLP, we conduct independent investigations into car accident claims and, by working with expert accident reconstructionists and the latest technological advances, we are often able to help our clients recover maximum compensation for their damages.
Depending on your unique circumstances, we may be able to help you recover compensation for:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Disability and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
Our award-winning attorneys have recovered more than $1 billion total for their clients. We are prepared to help you, too. If you were injured or your loved one was killed in a car accident and you believe another driver, auto parts manufacturer, or another entity is liable, don’t wait to reach out to our legal team to learn more about your rights.
Call us today at (281) 801-5617. Your initial consultation is completely free and entirely confidential.