Common Causes of Tire Tread Separation
Tire tread separation can be caused by a number of factors, but some of the most common include:
- Excessive wear: Tires are designed to last a certain number of miles, but when they are tested beyond those limits it can cause excessive wear, which increases the likelihood of tread separation.
- Faulty flat repair: Many drivers have experienced a flat tire at some time or another, but when errors occur during the repair of a flat tire, particularly in plug and patch situations, it can lead to tread separation. Essentially, the tip of the plug can become lodged in the area around the tread and the casing, causing irreversible damage that will only continue to deteriorate as time goes on.
- Manufacturer defects: Occasionally, defects in tire manufacturing or design can cause tread separation. This sometimes occurs in the chemical component aspect of the manufacturing process, which can make it difficult for the steel belting and tire tread to bond correctly. In cases involving manufacturing defects, a manufacturer may be ruled liable for injury or repair.
- General carelessness or recklessness: Oftentimes, it is a driver’s carelessness or recklessness when handling a vehicle that results in advanced deterioration of tires, such as driving over potholes at excessive speeds. When this occurs, it can generate enough force to result in tread separation.
Additionally, tires that are poorly retreaded or restored, or those that are not properly inflated, may experience greater degrees of deterioration, which can prompt tread separation.
Preventing & Identifying Tread Separation
One of the best ways to prevent accidents caused by tire tread separation is to inspect tires on a regular basis.
Doing so can help to identify some early warning signs of deterioration, including:
- Cuts or cracks in the sidewall
- Excessive wear to the tire tread
- Blisters or bulges in the sidewall
- Excessive vibration of the wheel
- Uneven tread wear, often caused by improper inflation, issues with suspension parts, misaligned wheels or previous damage to the tire
If you identify any warning signs of tread separation, it is important to seek repair as soon as possible in order to minimize risk to you and other drivers.
Tread Separation & Personal Injury
Unfortunately, tread separation can lead to dangerous accidents, which can cause severe injury to those involved. This can include injuries as minor as cuts, bruises, or other abrasions but can also involve conditions like broken bones, spinal cord injuries, or head/brain trauma.
If you or someone you love has been involved in an accident due to tire tread separation, it is important to explore your legal options, as you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim.
This can assist in the recovery of compensation for your damages, including but not limited to:
- Lost wages
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Mounting medical costs
- Temporary or extended rehabilitative costs
- Lost or reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
For those residing in and around the Houston, Texas area, the legal team at The Ammons Law Firm serves as a knowledgeable and experienced legal resource for victims of personal injury-related matters, including those involving accidents due to tire tread separation. Our Houston tire defect attorneys are extremely knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to this area of personal injury law and can provide the wise legal guidance you need when seeking justice against those responsible for your injuries, including manufacturers of defective products.
"We could not have been in better hands."- Former Client
"Amazed by Mr. Ammons’ presentation & knowledge."- Teressa H.
"Wonderful & hardworking lawyers."- Kenny N.
"Rob will devote the resources necessary to sort out any complex matter and get the best possible result for the client."- Louis H., Referral Attorney
“Rob fought for me like no man has fought for me. The Ammons Law Firm is a law firm that seeks out justice, righteousness for those who have suffered and I can now move forward in my life.”- Joe C.
"Wonderful & hardworking lawyers."- Jose Angel M.