Causes of Car Accidents and Personal Injuries
Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shows that most accidents occur due to driver error and carelessness. Another driver or other party may be responsible for your damages if they caused your crash due to negligence. Common negligent driving behaviors and reasons for motor vehicle accidents include:
Speeding is one of the leading causes of car crashes. A driver traveling too fast has less time to react and is more likely to lose control of their car. Moreover, excessive speeding can also increase car damage and the severity of injuries.
Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol cannot operate a vehicle safely and, as a result, may cause serious accidents. If you are involved in a crash with a drunk driver, call 911 immediately and report the accident to the police.
Drivers must pay attention to the road and traffic at all times. Using a cell phone or talking to passengers while driving can lead to severe car accidents that result in personal injuries. If you were injured due to a distracted driver, evidence such as cell phone records and witness statements can be crucial for proving your legal claim.
Violating Traffic Laws
Dangerous driving that violates traffic laws shows a complete disregard for the safety of others. Behaviors such as running red lights or following too closely can cause severe accidents with injuries and property damage.
Badly Maintained Roads
Substandard construction, neglectful maintenance, and bad road design can all contribute to car crashes. If your accident occurred due to a poorly maintained or designed road, you could have a case against the local government authority responsible for roads or the contractor hired to build the road.
Sometimes, a vehicle defect can cause or contribute to an accident. Vehicle defects can include, among others:
- Tire defects
- Faulty steering
- Defective brakes
There can be other circumstances leading to car accidents. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a car crash, a car accident attorney can determine whether you have a legal case and may be entitled to compensation.
Compensation for Personal Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
If another has caused your injuries and financial losses, they should make you “whole” again. While compensation depends on the circumstances of your accident and your damages, you could recover:
- Medical expenses: You may be entitled to all current and future injury-related medical costs, such as hospital bills, medication, medical devices, and others.
- Lost income: If you can’t work due to car accident injuries, you could receive lost wages, including current and future lost income.
- Pain and anguish: Those with severe or life-altering could recover compensation for the pain and emotional distress experienced. If your injuries keep you from hobbies and activities you previously enjoyed, you could also recover damages for reduced life quality.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one was killed in a crash caused by another, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit and recover damages, such as burial expenses and loss of a loved one’s income.
A car accident attorney can help identify all your damages and the compensation due to you from the responsible party.
How to Move Forward After Injuries in an Auto Crash
Taking the right actions after a car crash can be vital for your health and legal rights. Here are some crucial steps to take after a motor vehicle accident:
- Call 911 for the police and medical assistance if required
- Exchange contact and insurance information with other drivers
- Note contact details of accident witnesses
- Seek medical help
- Take photos of the accident scene and damaged vehicles
- Retain receipts for accident-related out-of-pocket expenses
- Notify your car insurance company of the accident
Contact a Car Accident Attorney
If another caused your accident, consult a car accident lawyer to determine whether you have a case and qualify for compensation. An experienced attorney at the Ammons Law Firm can help you understand your rights and legal options.
The Ammons Law Firm Can Help You After a Car Crash
You don’t have to face the aftermath of a severe car crash alone. If you were significantly injured due to another’s carelessness or recklessness, we can be your advocates and work tirelessly for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation to assess your options.
You can read our personal injury law resource to learn more about the cases we handle.
Call our Houston personal injury attorneys at (281) 801-5617 today to get started with a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.