Common Types of Back Injuries
Back injuries can be common in car accidents, truck accidents, workplace accidents, and slips and falls. Sometimes, a back injury is delayed and may not be discovered or diagnosed for a few days following the injury-causing incident. Visiting a doctor promptly after a fall or accident, especially if you notice stiffness or pain, can be crucial for your recovery. Here are some of the most common back injuries:
- Sprains and Strains Your back tends to absorb the impact of a car accident or fall, which can cause painful soft tissue injuries, such as sprains, strains, and bruises. Tendons, ligaments, and muscles can get stretched and even torn, causing stiffness, loss of function, and excruciating muscle spasms. Whiplash, for example, is a typical soft tissue neck injury resulting from the head violently jolting back and forth in a crash.
While soft-tissue injuries generally aren’t life-changing, they may require a long recovery period and severely interfere with your work and home life.
- Herniated Discs The spine is composed of discs that cushion the vertebrae. A sudden impact in a car accident or fall can cause a disc to bulge outwards, pushing on the delicate nerves of the spine. Bulging or herniated discs can lead to nerve compression, back pain, numbness, and weakness in the legs or arms.
- Fractured Vertebrae Fractures of the vertebrae can occur when the spine experiences too much pressure in an accident or fall. Compression fractures, the collapsing or crushing of vertebrae, are some of the most common types of vertebrae injuries. Fractured vertebrae can be chronically painful and, in some cases, cause neurological problems. Surgery may be required, depending on the severity and location of the fracture.
- Spinal Cord Damage Spinal cord injuries are some of the more severe injuries accident victims experience and can lead to permanent paralysis, loss of sensation, and many other significant complications. Individuals with a severed spinal cord and paralysis may also experience considerable emotional distress and financial chaos.
Severe back injuries can be permanently disabling and significantly impact your quality of life. If you are affected, and someone else is responsible for the accident that caused the injury, our personal injury attorneys can help you get the compensation you deserve and need to put your life back together.
Back Injury Symptoms
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) says back pain is a common cause of disability. However, injuring your back is not always immediately obvious. Our bodies can mask pain, particularly in a stressful situation, such as a car crash, assault, work accident, or fall.
In the days following your accident, you might notice non-specific symptoms that could point to a back injury, such as persistent headaches, stiffness, and loss of motion. Back injury symptoms can also include:
- Tingling and numbness in arms and legs
- Persistent back pain
- Reduced range of motion
- Painful muscle spasms
- Stiff neck or upper back
- Pain radiating down the buttocks and legs
- Problems walking and standing
Receiving Medical Treatment
Seeing a doctor immediately after your back injury can be essential for your health and your chances of recovering damages. Sometimes, personal victims deny medical help at an accident scene, only to discover weeks later that their back pain, stiffness, and other concerning symptoms may be related to the accident or fall.
However, delaying a doctor’s visit can hamper your recovery and hinder your legal case. The responsible party’s attorney may argue that your injuries are unrelated to the accident, as you failed to seek medical help promptly. Therefore, even if you feel fine after a fall, car crash, or another incident, make a doctor’s appointment as soon as possible to rule out hidden injuries and protect your legal rights.
The Ammons Law Firm Fights for the Injured
If you or a loved one suffered a severe or debilitating injury in an accident or incident caused by another, getting adequately compensated can be an uphill struggle. However, you don’t have to go it alone. The Ammons Law Firm’s experienced lawyers are here to help. We have recovered over $1 billion in damages for injured clients and could help you, too, receive the compensation you deserve.
Call our Houston back injury attorneys at (281) 801-5617 today to get started with a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.